Energy, Transition, Renewables
The Polish energy sector stands at a crossroads for energy transition, remodelling of the conception of the energy market, and modernisation of the market in line with trends underway in the world’s leading economies.
Our multidisciplinary team provides clients comprehensive support at every stage of energy projects, from planning and environmental procedures, regulatory advice, development, transfer and acquisition, implementation of advanced technologies, and representation in administrative and regulatory proceedings, to claims management, handover to the investor, and potentially complex litigation and arbitration involving regulatory and technological elements.
We provide legal support for renewable energy projects, onshore and offshore, photovoltaics, biomass and biogas, and conventional gas generation, as well as environmental upgrading and fuel conversion of existing generating units.
Our team advises clients on renewable, conventional and nuclear generation of electricity. We also advise in the areas of heat, gas and liquid fuels, in matters involving generation, transmission, distribution and trading in power, hydrocarbons and liquid fuels.
We represent clients before state authorities in concession proceedings and disputes, including the president of the Energy Regulatory Office, the Minister of Climate and the Minister of the Environment.
We also advise customers (particularly industrial users) on issues related to generation of heat and power (cogeneration) alongside the client’s core business, as well as optimisation of energy consumption costs using existing relief, exemptions and other forms of support.
Our team provides analyses and advice on the dynamically evolving sectoral regulations under EU and Polish law, including the climate and energy policy of the European Union and the consequences for the energy and industry sectors.
We are a knowledge partner for the web portal CIRE.pl, which provides exhaustive information on the Polish and foreign energy markets.
Our services include:
- Comprehensive legal support for projects in the sectors of renewables, cogeneration and conventional generation, reflecting the legal conditions specific to the energy sector
- Legal support for M&A transactions in the sector, including due diligence with respect to key assets and risks characteristic for the relevant segment of the energy market
- Preparing contracts with counterparties and consumers (contracts for sale, transmission and distribution, comprehensive contracts, grid connection contracts, and general contracts), and negotiation and drafting of contracts for energy customers, including corporate power purchase agreements
- Representation in disputes before the energy regulator and appeals (the Energy Regulatory Office and the Court of Competition and Consumer Protection)
- Advice for contractors in multi-phase sectoral tender procedures for implementing new projects and upgrading existing generating units
- Advice for clients from the extraction sector, both regulatory, under the Geological and Mining Law (concessions, permits, and rights to geological information), and contractual, involving agreements concluded by and between participants in the extraction market (e.g. project contracts and contracts for implementation of geological and mining works).